I’m not one to sugar coat things.
Well unless we’re talking about food, in which case an occasional sugar-coated donut or scone is right up my alley.
I’m not going to lie. Last week was shitty; it was a rough one. There were too many hiccups at work, I was stressed out and frustrated. I only made it to the gym twice, I missed the farmers market entirely and my buddy Max, my sweet, baked-good loving, geriatric feline, got diagnosed with kidney disease. Yeah, all in all, last week sucked big honking monkey balls.
How’s that for keeping it real?
I don’t want to do a Week In Review today; at least not in the traditional sense. When I can’t push them away, I tend to replay negative things over and over in my strange little head space until I’m wrapped into mental knots, so the best thing for me is to set it aside, let it go and move on. Rehashing it via a Week In Review would be counterproductive to my mental health, and we all know I need to keep what sanity I have left. Ba-dum-bum. Ching. Yep, that joke felt a little forced today.
I’ve decided instead of listing out last week’s accomplishments, I want to write a list of Thankful Things; a list which makes me focus on all the good stuff, amidst the chaos. I want to write a list that resets my brain to grab the happy and hold on for the ride. Who knows maybe I’ll get to see a unicorn along the way.
Let’s get listing:
- I’m thankful for unicorns, even if they only are a figment of my imagination.
- I’m thankful Max’s condition isn’t a death sentence. Actually it really is, but since he isn’t passing tomorrow or the next day or the next day, I’m going to spoil him rotten. It’s going to be fields of catnip, chipmunk heads, and Breadsmith bread over here. My buddy’s got good taste… well except when it comes to Alvin, Simon, and Theodore.
- I’m thankful Spring is in fact coming, despite the snow flurries I saw on Sunday afternoon. The chives sprouting up in my garden are proof of this and even though they’re just little bitty babies right now, in a couple of month’s, they’ll look like something from the Amazon rainforest. I might be exaggerating a wee bit.
- I’m thankful for unexpected house guests, who shovel my driveway and bring me bowls of vegetarian chili for dinner when I have to work late. Those are the best kind of house guests.
- I’m thankful for sitting in sun patches while I write my lists, despite the melting snow less than 15 feet away. While I only lasted about 10 minutes, even with my hat, hoodie and gloves, it was long enough to make my grocery store list and really it’s the only list I need. Alright that’s not accurate; I need lots of lists, but the grocery store one is high up there on the priority chain.
- I’m thankful for dessert, especially Crème brûlée.
- I’m thankful for delicious Sunday morning brunches with my Hubby.
- I’m thankful for Mondays because they’re a new beginning, a fresh start so to speak, one where I get to hit the reset button.
- I’m thankful for an outpouring of love from family and friends for my birthday. My package from a couple of weeks ago has now multiplied.
- I’m thankful because today is my birthday and they have a parade every year in my honor. Or at least I pretend that’s what this parade business is all about.
On that note, I need to hop onto my unicorn and head on down to the parade. Happy Saint Patrick’s Day. Maybe I’ll see you there. 😉
Enough about me. Let’s hear from you.
Interested in participating in the Week In Review?
The Week In Review is a list, in its purest form, not of the things you still need to do, but of all the things you have done in the past seven days. It’s an achievement list and one with the sole purpose of bringing pleasure. Want in? Grab the Week in Review button for your post, link back to Clean Eats, Fast Feets and get your list on. For more details, click here.
Link up and get your list on.
What are you thankful for today? Do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day? If so, how?