I am a horn tooter, when it’s my own of course.
I think grabbing somebody else’s horn, especially unexpectedly, might be a little inappropriate. Then again, it’s certainly never stopped me before. The Hubby’s horn can vouch for me here.
(I use Siri to record all my notes. Who knew she was such a naughty minx)
Back in the day, I used to host a little link up party dubbed the Week In Review for all my fellow list lovers out there (Be still my heart). The point was to pen a post, glorifying all the things you accomplished in a given week, big or small. It was an ode to yourself, a celebration of sorts, a virtual pat on the back, and free rein to toot your own horn, although I totally recommend handling that last one in the privacy of your own home. Indecent exposure is legit, and you don’t want to be the park pervert.
Here’s the deal: in the real world and the little bubble that is my mind, everything moves a million miles a minute, and my To Do lists are never ending. There aren’t enough hours in the day and even if there were, I’d still fill them with nonsensical things. Instead of fretting and frowning over the unfinished tasks, I’d much prefer to give mad props to all the things I did actually manage to complete. Um hello, some days showering and feeding oneself is an accomplishment all in itself.
(Hello you sexy button. Oh how I’ve missed you).
Without further ado, let’s Week In Review:
- I showered and fed myself. Hooray, even if some nights it was only a bowl of cereal with a side of toast. Hey, it was nutrient dense cereal (cough, cough).
- I went brunching, in my own home, with a lovely pair of peeps, which is far and away my favorite meal to host. Can you say mimosa? I know I can. To offset the booze, we also had bread, strata, parmesan roasted sweet potatoes and of course the endless fruit bowl.
- I made an apple pie, completely from scratch. Boom. Then I overcooked that same pie. It’s possible steak knives were used to get through the crust. Oops. The filling was spot on though.
- I worked 50 plus hours at my day job, including two 12 hours days as book ends for the week. Pfft; that sucked.
- I frolicked with the neighborhood deer, who are almost as domesticated as Oscar.
- I had a lovely Skype date with a dear friend, who helps me get through 50 plus hour work weeks.
- I spent a handful of hours horizontal on Sunday afternoon, while Oscar looked on from the sidelines….watching movies and napping. What were you thinking? Dirty birdie. I like it.
- I handled some of the more mundane tasks like paying bills, grocery shopping, balancing all the checkbooks (why do we have so many?), and I unloaded the dishwasher what seemed like a hundred times.
- I did a little bit of yard work, including getting the mums in and the pumpkins up, which is huge since this has been on my To Do list for almost a month now. Go me.
- On Sunday night, I made Broccoli Mac and Cheese. It was fantastic, and in the words of Oliver, “Please sir, I want some more…”
Wow, I was way more accomplished than I realized. I feel better already. Thanks for letting me toot my own horn, as if you had a choice.
Do you have entirely too many checkbooks also? Are your decorative pumpkins and mums in place? Do you have any desire to pen your own Week In Review post? If there’s enough interest, I might make it a link up party again, on a monthly or so basis. Who’s coming with me?
Here’s some past favorites to give you ideas.