Peanut butter and chocolate is a combination as old as time itself.
I guarantee Jesus’ last supper was some combination of the two. The pharaohs praised peanut butter above all others, while the Aztecs pounced on its protein potential. The Greeks relied on chocolate to prolong their lives, the Incas preformed routine sacrifices to the Cacao Gods, and the Romans licked it off the bodies of young boys.* (#MeToo.)
These days chocolate and peanut butter is all the rage because not only is the flavor combination all kinds of awesome, Easter is right around the corner. Every other blogger and their mother is writing about peanut butter eggs this, chocolate bunnies that, and don’t even get me started on carrot cake.
We could pretend I didn’t want to miss out on the holiday food fun, but the real reason I’m sharing these beauteous bites today is because Aunt Flo came to town earlier this month and I had no candy, cookies, or chips in the house. The trifecta of C’s was absent, and I felt lost, alone, and abandoned in my hour of need.
So you see, these tasty morsels were borne out of sheer desperation; an overwhelming desire to eat all things sweet and salty. That and I had to make it from the limited supplies I had on hand, which is why there are only five ingredients in my peanut butter chocolate bites, including the seasonings. My math is strong.
Another dead giveaway is my decorating job. There’s no fancy frills here or even anything resembling a sweet sugar coated egg. It’s basically blobs of deliciously sweetened peanut butter covered in a haphazard, yet delightful, drizzle of semi-sweet chocolate and sprinkled with grains of sea salt. It’s heavenly and exactly what I needed last week.
*While I do enjoy history, I made all of this up. I have no idea what Jesus ate for his final meal and while the Romans definitely licked young boys, I’m not sure if chocolate was involved.
- 1 cup Peanut Butter (I love the Peanut Butter & Co "Smooth Operator")
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 pinches of Sea Salt, divided
- 1 cup mini semi-sweetened Chocolate Chips, divided (I prefer the Enjoy Life brand).
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Combine peanut butter, honey, vanilla, and one pinch of sea salt in a medium bowl. Stir well, incorporating all of the ingredients together. Stir in 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. Once combined, scoop out approximately a tablespoon size of the mixture and roll into a ball using your hands and put on your cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat until the mixture is gone. If mixture is too sticky, put it in the fridge for 10 minutes to harden slightly. Once all your balls are formed, put them in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 3/4 cup of chocolate chips in a microwaveable cup, for 20 seconds at a time until fully melted, stirring between each session. Drizzle the chocolate over the peanut butter bites or you can roll the peanut butter bites in the chocolate until coated. Sprinkle with remaining pinch of sea salt. Put back in the freezer for another 20 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container in your freezer or fridge (I prefer the former, although my Hubby prefers the latter).
- *Cook time is wait time.
What’s your favorite peanut butter chocolate dessert?