I’ve decided today we should talk about my love of lists; because we don’t do that often enough. Insert eye roll here.
Not surprisingly, I’m going to make that great statement and then veer off into a different direction. Have no fear; I’ll get back to lists momentarily or within a hundred words or so. I have a tendency to ramble. Shit I just used up 25% of my words telling you that, and yes, I counted and then did the math. Whatever.
I mentioned in Friday’s post I had a sudden influx of greens. I was like a squirrel stockpiling nuts for obvious reasons, one of which is they’re well, nuts. Except in my case I had a fridge full of produce and no real idea how to handle it all, other than to know my weekend would be spent frolicking and dance partying it up in the kitchen. Not always a bad thing, although when I put my head to the pillow on Friday night (or really the back of the couch and then the Hubby’s shoulder, where I may have drooled just a little bit), my mind was a swirling mess of rapid fire words: spinach, red leaf lettuce, Bok Choy, radishes, carrots, Bok Choy, spinach, green leaf lettuce, kale, and Bok-The-Ef-Up-Choy. I awoke to the same tumbled mess of confusion. I needed to do something to reign it all in and regain control, so I did the one thing I knew with complete certainty would calm my mind.
I made a list; a glorious Saturday morning list. A wonderful and willful list fueled by a morning cup of coffee and the knowledge I was having a rare dinner out with friends, which meant my main meal was covered, so I could spend my day processing goodies and then of course photographing them, so I could share the joy and spread the wealth with all of you. I am so selfless. Oh and by share the joy, I really mean the moment. I’m not planning on sending out any packages, and there goes my minute of selflessness. Oops. I had the best of intentions, I swear and to make it up to you, I’m going to share that very same Saturday morning list. To hell with cartoons, lists are the new Saturday morning line up.
Now let’s get bumping, bullet point style.
- I pulled all the veggies out of the fridge so I knew what the heck I was dealing with. Much like still waters, those crisper drawers run deep. In my rare charitable moment, I photographed the same. Can you say, “Holy produce Batman.” I can. I can type it too; I am so multi-talented.
- I made my grocery store list (yes, an entirely separate and equally as gratifying list) and then hit up The Bin for my typical score, including my lunches for the week, which is now looking particularly tasty. Thai Peanut Noodles, Curried Couscous Salad, Vegan Chick Pea Salad and Vegetable Lasagne. Yep, I heart them.
- I made Lentil Stew with Bok Choy, and I do mean a whole lot of Bok Choy; multiple bunches went into this bad boy. Two words: damn good.
- I made the base for my Veggified Pizza. Secret’s in the sauce, and since I published the recipe long ago, it’s not so much a secret, but it does use up more Bok Choy and makes a mean pizza in the process. In this picture, we have carrots, garlic, green beans, and the stems of the Bok Choy. The leaves come later.
- I made Kale Chips and it’s worth mentioning I did so successfully, without burning the crap out of them. Sweet, sweet victory is mine.
- I made Garlicky Radish Chips because why not. I used this recipe here, although I added half a teaspoon of garlic powder because we all know everything is better with garlic. I also dropped the oven temperature to 300 because I like to do things long and slow, and I do mean all the things. Wink, wink.
- On a whim, I went off list and did more magical things with my radishes because I could and possible because I just had that damn many of them. I roasted some along with carrots and fresh rosemary, and for the kicker……I made muffins using a cup and a half of shredded radish. “Yeah, shredding radishes was fun,” she says sarcastically. They were totally worth it though, and you’d never know these puppies housed a single vegetable. Matter of fact, puppies should be so lucky to get a scrap of these.
- I washed all the greens: the seemingly never-ending pile of Bok Choy, the red leaf lettuce, the green leaf lettuce, the Kale and the Spinach. After years of participating in a CSA, I’ve learned a side of creepy crawlers is quite common with my produce, which is why it’s absolutely essentially you wash it. Say hello to my little friend. I named him Benny, and he is now living (I hope) somewhere in my backyard. Special thanks to the Hubby for taking him outside because you know I wasn’t touching that.
- I chopped up veggies for the Hubby’s lunch time wraps. I also made him some hard-boiled eggs, so he’ll have options. Food options that is. I may be lewd and inappropriate, but swinging is not my thing.
- I opted to skip making scalloped potatoes and went straight up mashed instead. It didn’t hurt I had some homemade chive butter in the fridge just begging for a home. The Gouda cheese was icing on the cake. Mmmm mashed potatoes…♫ you’re so fine. You’re so fine, you blow my mind. Hey Mashed. Hey. Hey. Hey Mashed.” ♫
- Last but most certainly not least, I had a rejuvenating evening out with friends. The margaritas didn’t hurt.
While I didn’t actually complete every last item on my list, I certainly had a good time knocking out the ones which really mattered. I also called it quits at 3 p.m. on Sunday and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening relaxing fireside with my kitties and my computer; gotta recharge those batteries.
Interested in participating in the Week In Review? Good, you should be.
The Week In Review is a list, in its purest form, not of the things you still need to do, but of all the things you have done in the past seven days. It’s an achievement list and one with the sole purpose of bringing pleasure. Want in? Grab the Week in Review button for your post, link back to Clean Eats, Fast Feets and get your list on. For more details, click here.
Link up and get your list on.
Have you ever spent almost an entire weekend in the kitchen processing produce? Would you want to? What was your favorite thing made in the last week?