I see these Five Things Friday posts scattered across the internet. I guess they’re all the rage. Well far it be from me to hold back on raging, especially if it involves a vacuum on Saturday night. Get your mind out of the gutter because this one’s all on you. I meant nothing dirty-birdie-ish involving my powerful sucking machine. Hmm, perhaps I should just get to the Five Things.
- I’ve mentioned this before, which certainly won’t stop me from mentioning it again. My brain is like a giant jukebox. There’s always a song floating around, usually with incorrect lyrics and I’m ok with that. I’m also comfortable with most genres of music…well, except country and watching the television show Nashville does not count. I’m a huge fan of the Oldies station, although the name irritates me; bunch of ageists. Anyway, I’m sharing a song today. It’s light and fluffy, without being current or pop. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear it, which I’ll admit isn’t often enough. If you’ve never heard this classic before, you can thank me later for opening up your world to Buddy Holly.
- I hate to needless dirty dishes. It’s a thing. Whenever possible, I’ll try to get by with fewer dishes even if it means going without. And yes, I do have a dishwasher but I didn’t growing up, and old habits die hard. Case in point: the other night I realized I had chucked (gently placed would be a more accurate description) my soup spoon in the dishwasher before using it to scoop all the last little leftover bits out of the pot. Not to be outdone, I used the power of gravity and my fingers for the few remaining morsels. Then I washed my hands because I’m not totally disgusting.
- Despite my very OCD ways, they all stop at the bedroom door, and I don’t mean in a Bow Chicka Wow Wow way, although that could be interesting. I mean all the things needing to be exactly so and perfectly placed no longer exists in the boudoir. I rarely ever make my bed, unless there’s a chance someone might see it, and I usually toss my clothes into less than organized piles. My jewelry is relegated to a lovely chest, but things are wild in there and unkept. There is no structure, and as much as I’d like to implement some, it doesn’t bother me either. Apparently my OCD is room specific. Fascinating stuff, am I right? That’s a rhetorical question.
- The darkness, which descends as early as 5:30 p.m., is starting to get a little bit depressing; almost equally depressing is spending night after night by myself in the darkness…er, I mean my house. Is that a Freudian slip? I’ll admit I’m not always sure how those psychological things work, unless it involves incest and I’m not down with that. Jokes aside, I’m a touch lonely without the Hubby. Yeah sure, I have the cats, but those fools run out the door every night the second they finish their food. Fickle felines. By the way, this does not in any way, shape, or form take away from my independent nature. It does means this introvert is going to have to get out more though. This could be interesting.
- Remember when I said I had complete control over my CSA this year? The competitive vibe between me and my veggies was a thing of the past because there really was no competition anymore. Yeah, I lied. Actually I didn’t lie because at the time I was kicking ass and taking names. Well that’s simply no longer the case. Last night when I went to put away my most recent CSA haul, I realized there was no room left in the crisper drawers, emphasis on plural drawers. I knew I had an ungodly amount of Bok Choy in my fridge, but it turns out I’m drowning in all types of greens. Currently, I have five bunches of Bok Choy, two bags of Spinach, four heads of lettuce, three bundles of radishes, fistfuls of carrots, a couple of bell peppers, and a kohlrabi. That is a shitton of fresh produce, and I’m a little perturbed. I have no idea how it got so voluminous so quickly, but I do know I’m going to be in the kitchen pretty much this entire weekend because I’ll be damned if I let something go bad.
For those of you keeping track, my egg count this morning is at 31. Gulp. Might be time to make some quiches stuffed with all things green.
What are you up to this weekend? Do you have room specific OCD? Do you use all the dishes and deal with the mess later?