Is it blasphemous to call myself the prodigal son?
Can I even talk about my return when theoretically I came back from my blogging staycation last week? That beautiful Breakfast post didn’t just write itself. Although my Currently post might have, considering I was completely sleep deprived and over caffeinated when I coined most of it. You can’t fool me; I know that’s how you like it.
Since we’re on the topic of blogging, I want to talk a little bit about post writing today, and since you’re subject to my whims, that’s what we’re gonna do. Lucky you; oh and when I say a little, I really mean a lot because this is me and we all know I don’t play well with few words. I don’t even know what a few words means; is that like five paragraphs?
Along with being a list lover, I am a planner. A strong, steady, need to know ahead of time planner. Switching plans last-minute puts a knot in my knickers, and I think spontaneity is for the birds, or even other people, but not me. There are a few exceptions to my hard and fast planning rules. My CSA is one of them, because every week my produce is a surprise, and writing is another one.
They say if you want to be a successful blogger, you need to get yourself a calendar and schedule your posts days, weeks, and even months in advance. What I want to know is who the infamous ‘they’ really is because that shit doesn’t fly with me. Believe me, I’ve tried, countless times. In truth, I’m envious of bloggers who can pre-write posts light years ahead of time. I’m slightly jealous of those same bloggers who have pretty little calendars with all sorts of glorious and fun agendas noted. I imagine a world of structured lines, fancy stickers, and color coded indexes. It’s magical, and not for me.
I am not a sit down ahead of time and write kind of writer. Oh no, I’m a last-minute, let the words take you where they may, kind of proser, and I often operate best under pressure. To try to harness it only makes for less than sassy shorthand; a snoozefest, if you will. It’s like locking me in a box or putting baby in the corner, and we all know how well that turned out.
The moral of my multiple paragraphs is to recognize, accept and even embrace what makes you, you. Don’t force societal norms or blogging rules if they aren’t your cup of tea. Work with what you got and shake what your momma gave you. Hmm, I have no idea how that last one got in there. I blame Patrick Swayze.
You may be asking yourself what any of this has to do with my Week in Review recaps, and the answer would be pretty much nothing. Hey, at least I’m honest.
Let’s get listing:
- A miracle occurred. I scored an entire flat of strawberry plants (12 plants) for a whopping $1.00 at the farmers market last Friday. I’m pretty sure that’s an offensive tip for any half nude dancer. I don’t even want to speculate on the fully nude ones.
- My father-in-law hooked me up with a raised garden bed. Both Oscar and I give it two thumbs up, or really two toes, because Oscar doesn’t have opposable thumbs. Try telling him that though. He also got in a heated battle with the neighbor’s ferns last week; the ferns won.
- I worked a ridiculous amount of hours on my job, in part because the last few days of every month are always rough at work, and partially because I intend to take most of this week off. Giddy up.
- I added to my deep freezer, a necessity since my stockpiles are dwindling.
- I did some spur of the moment recipe testing, which turned out so good, I’ll be sharing the deets with you this week and before ramps go completely out of season.
In the words of Kiss My Broccoli, this dish was smack yo’ momma good, not that I recommend smacking any mammas out there, especially with Mother’s Day on the horizon. I would suggest making her this though.
Alright enough about me and momma’s; let’s hear from you.
Interested in participating in the Week In Review?
The Week In Review is a list, in its purest form, not of the things you still need to do, but of all the things you have done in the past seven days. It’s an achievement list and one with the sole purpose of bringing pleasure. Want in? Grab the Week in Review button for your post, link back to Clean Eats, Fast Feets and get your list on. For more details, click here.
Link up and get your list on.
What kind of writer are you? Do you pre-schedule your posts, or do you fly by the seat of your pants? Have you ever planned a raised garden bed? Any ideas on how to go about doing it, other than plant all the veggies?