I’m going to let you in on a little secret.
We need to keep this between ourselves though because what I’m about to reveal could be potential damaging to my reputation, my mental prowess and my overall image. Yeah, it’s like that.
Alright so are you ready? She glances left and then right slowly, before leaning in and dropping her voice to a whisper.
“I’m not perfect,” she says Out Loud.
There I said it. Cat’s out of the bag now. I know, I know. It’s shocking, I get it. Most days I prefer to think I’m invincible too, which is why whenever I notice a flaw, for lack of a better word, creep its insidious way into my life, I get chafed, in a non sexual way. I’d much rather push those little blips to the back of my mind and continue along in blissful ignorance. Not today though.
Instead, I’m throwing my quirks on the table for all to see. You’re welcome. Also feel free to run away in terror now. I promise not to hold it against you.
- Spontaneity makes my skin crawl. While I’m super excited about my imminent trip to San Diego, I’m equally as panicked because my planning window is so teeny tiny. Lists are being feverishly penned over here. I think I will switch to booze next.
- I clean my ears too much. My doctor chastises me every year at my physical. I don’t know what to say other than it feels too good to stop. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
- I’m as a stubborn as a mule, in zebra print pumps. It’s make for an interesting combo.
- I’m late more than I’m on time. It irks the hell out of me. My older brother too.
- On occasion, I have bouts of poor body image; usually when I’m in a dressing room, surrounded by those ghastly mirrors, trying on clothes which don’t properly fit. Thankfully once I escape those horrible walls, my logical mind (Eureka, it does exist) kicks in, years of perspective magically reappear, and I recognize I’m healthy, and I feel great. Plus, my neck is damn sexy. Me-yow.
- I am grossly impatient. Lines, waiting, being stuck in traffic is not my shining moment, especially when I mutter obscenities at drivers who cut me off. This is more glaring than shining, and I’m working on putting a cork in it and calming down.
- I never make the bed, unless we have company coming, we’re going out of town or I’m posting a picture for all to see. Normally these covers are a hot mess, and Oscar is sleeping in them somewhere.
- I sneak and use the Hubby’s toothbrush when I don’t like my own. Sorry Hubs, yours is just so much fuller than mine.
- I can be a little Sleeping With The Enemy about anything in the kitchen, meaning I like to group things by color or type.
While this is definitely a quirk, it also leads to some pretty impressive salads.
- Listening, I mean really, really listening is tough for me. I blame the self-diagnosed ADD, although I’m actively trying to improve. It’s damn hard too.
- There are items on my To Do list which have been there for months. Oops.
- My ironing skills are sub par and I can’t hem a pair of pants to save my life.
- I hoard food and shoes.
- The majority of my stress is self-created pressure. Adjusting my generally unrealistic expectations always makes me feel better though. For example, maybe I don’t have to make all my granola flavors when one will do quite nicely.
- I have a borderline inappropriate relationship with grocery store pictures. They make me giddy.
There you have it, my fabulous flaws in all their shining glory. The point is we’ve all got issues, some fun and others funky. I try to work on the ones which make a difference and embrace the rest because they add to my character and make me the charming and quirky individual that I am. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some cabinets to organize.
Tell me some of your quirks? Which ones do you try to improve and which ones do you readily embrace? Do grocery pictures make you giddy too?