♫ Baby it’s cold outside.♫
Jiminy Cricket. It is really freaking cold outside. I also know I’m not alone since half of North America has been hit by an arctic blast.
In light of the frigid temperatures, I thought it’d be wise to share some Cold Weather Tips, along with my Monday eats. Yep you read that right; in additional to passing out sage advice, I’m also linking up to What I Ate Wednesday, sponsored by the lovely Jenn over at Peas & Crayons. It’s been far too long since I joined her foodie party, while simultaneous doling out advice I’m not even remotely qualified to give, which would never be a deterrent; not for me anyway.
- Whatever you do, don’t start your day with an ice-cold smoothie. In fact, I highly recommend foregoing this icy concoction, unless you plan on drinking it in the shower, in which case, carry on.
- If by chance someone leaves a present on your desk, consisting of homemade Blackberry Oatmeal Scones, don’t immediately devour them, all while muttering my precious and casting feverish looks over your shoulder. Instead warm those suckers up, sit back, relax and enjoy your tasty treats.
- Don’t say asinine cold weather phrases like “It’s colder than a witch’s tit out there.” “That okay, we’re the breast of friends.” Actually go ahead and make those comments. They’re bound to get a laugh, and if not, you need to broaden your social circle.
- Eat something warm for lunch; preferable a big bowl of soup or warm mug of Vegetarian Chili; anything to take away the bone chilling and mind numbing cold.
- Don’t sing songs like, “I’m chilly willy the Penguin. I’m frozen through and through. My nose is red. My tail is cold. Ha, Hee, Hachoo.” (See Hubby, this is a real song. You owe me, and I plan to collect this weekend.) It turns out, people whether they are warm or cold, will find this little ditty irritating. Obviously, there’s no accounting for taste.
- Despite the cold, do get out of the house from time to time. We don’t want any Jack Torrance like episodes from The Shining to occur. Being cooped up all day isn’t good for anyone, even us introverts. When you do choose to leave the house, make sure to wear multiple layers, especially if it means more than one hat.
- Oh and one last thing. If for some reason you get stuck outside naked as a jay bird (those guys have all the fun), start running. Apparently it increases your internal body temperature long enough to keep you alive, although I can’t say it prevents frost bite or shrinkage.
There you have it. Now go forth and embrace the cold. Or use common sense and don’t do anything I did, except the two hat thing.
How cold is it in your city? What have you been doing to stay warm? Are there any super important tips I missed? Do tell.