I legit eat salad four times week, maybe more.
I don’t even have relations that often, if you catch my drift. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
You know it’s a problem when your salad consumption surpasses your mad monkey loving.
If we’re talking strictly quantity, those leafy greens win, hands down. In fact, they dominate everything else in their path during CSA season. When you have a crisper drawer full of lettuce at all times, you learn to eat a lot of salads, and if you’re lucky, you actually enjoy them.
Me, I’m pretty much head over heels for my greens. It’s also a small wonder I haven’t turned into a rabbit.
In case it wasn’t already clear, I eat a holy crapton of salad in the summer, and I like it.
Ingesting bowls full of nutritional goodness makes me feel fabulous about myself in more ways than you can imagine.
The secret to my salad success, aside from neurotic color blocking, is variety. It really is the spice of life.
Enter salad toppings stage left.
Yep, the way to keep your salads fun and fantastic is to play with those toppings, and today I’m sharing some simple hacks to help you keep your greens funky and fresh.
Simple Salad Hacks Guaranteed to Sway the Skeptics
- Fruit is your friend. It brings a bowl of greenery to life. Add berries, a soft cheese like blue, goat or feta, some nuts, onions and you’re in business.
One of my favorite Strange, But Good combinations is blueberries, banana slices, candied walnuts, and blue cheese, topped with a Poppy Seed dressing. The culmination of flavors here makes me melt. Try it, and I promise you’ll see why.
- Pick a Theme.
Make a Greek Salad and utilize the flavors of the Mediterranean: kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, green onions, tomatoes, oregano croutons, cucumbers, and feta.
- Go Nuts. You get all the crunch of a crouton, with a better nutritional bang for your buck.
Better yet, top it with a Savory Parmesan Rosemary Granola.
- Get toasted. Add roasted sweet potatoes and cauliflower for a punch of flavor and a pop of pizzazz.
- Make a Mutt. Get creative; mix and match your toppings. There are no rules, so this is your chance to go hog wild, without the actual pig, unless of course you want to toss in some bacon. Far be it from me to stop you.
- Up Your Protein. A great way to ensure a salad leaves you satiated is to make sure it includes some protein. Add eggs, beans, nuts, and cheese.
- Last but not least, Ditch the Lettuce. A salad doesn’t have to be built on a bed of greens.
Tomato Cucumber Salad with Kalamata Olives and Feta
Pear Salad with Walnuts and Blue Cheese
On that note, it’s time for me to get my salad on. Maybe I’ll get lucky and toss in a side of monkey loving. Now that would be one hell of a topping.
Do you eat salad often? Do you want to eat one now? I certainly do.