Hashtags are a relatively new concept for me.
Let’s face it. I grew up in an era where selfies, smart phones and social media didn’t even exist, so the fact I’m slowly and steadily acclimating myself with hashtags is a wonder to behold; perhaps even a thing of beauty with some sparkles on top. A girl needs her sparkles or at least this girl does, even if I do have a ton of tomboy trapped inside me; not literally, because that’d be a medical marvel.
In any event, I have learned to appreciate hashtags and the business savvy side of me, the one who wears faux snake skin pumps and pencil skirts, recognizes their importance, especially where recipes are concerned. Utilizing hashtags is Marketing, let’s say 201 simply so I can feel more advanced, and if they aren’t already their own college course, they soon will be. The truth of the matter is there is value in the hashtag, regardless of how ridiculous they may look.
With that being said, some of the hashtags I see on Instagram leave me scratching my head with their nonsensical ways. I do realize trying to make sense out of Instagram is my first mistake. My second error in judgment is trying to see the connection between the hashtags and the picture being presented. Call me crazy, lord knows it won’t be the first time, but I have trouble identifying a chocolate bar as #girlswholift, #bodybuilding, or #girlswithmuscle. Also, how does posting selfies with a hat on make you #fitfluential? Has the hat been working out? Does the hat go to the gym on a regular basis?
Even though I was just hating, I’m so not a hater. In fact, it would wrong of me to poke fun at other people’s hashtags without taking a jab at my own, and I don’t like to be wrong; ever. I was raised by attorneys; it’s not in our blood. Besides, this is the crux for my post today. The whole intro was just for kicks, and now I’m going to toss in a little mood music. You’re welcome.
Without further ado, ♫ “I’m gonna pop some tags. Only got twenty dollars in my pocket….”♫
*These are all hashtags I use on Instagram and most of them on a regular basis.
- #vanillagorilla: it’s possible I stick out like a sore thumb in this category. Suffice to say most of the people who tag themselves as such are a) men and b) could pop my head like an overripe cherry tomato with a bicep.
- #tellmeaboutitspud: I adore potatoes and could belt out Grease almost as good as Sandra D. Spuds of all shapes, sizes, and color make me happy.
- #thighgap: I posted this to prove a point. Don’t believe everything you see on The Gram. Also, a little meat on your bones can be a good thing. #thebettertogriptheHubbywith.
- #chillinlikeavillain: this is a classic afternoon activity for little Oscar. In fact, I take my cues on the weekend from him.
- #publicbanana: you knew I couldn’t go to Toronto and not make this happen. Now remember, a good #publicbanana includes eye contact and a smile. Embrace your bananas and eat them publically, if only to make others feel awkward.
- The time I attempted to make spring rolls and got a bunch of #doobies instead. I don’t recommend searching on this hashtag either; not unless you want the DEA showing up on your doorstep.
- #eatmorecheese: also known as the reason I couldn’t be vegan. In case you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m a total wise ass. It’s how I’m built, ignoring the whole muscle, bones and tissue connectivity stuff.
- #listlover: not to be confused with the Hubby, these make my heart sing, my toes tingle and my pulse quicken or so says the Type A planner in me.
- #bloomingonion: I’m giving Outback a run for their money. Somebody’s gotta do it; might as well be me.
- #sweatybitchesrock: c’mon ladies, let’s turn this one into a thing. God knows we post enough workout selfies to make it happen.
- #naturescandy: this almost makes me want to eat a salad again. Almost.
It would be safe to say I took the old adage, if you can’t beat them, join them, pretty seriously. I’d also say I’ve got this hashtag thing covered. #twosnapsandatwirlforme
What are your go to hashtags? What ones do you use the most frequently? Do you have a little fun with them or are you all business?